Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Where'd You Go, Bernadette?


I laughed out loud. That is the mark of a great book. Not often do I laugh out loud. I might chuckle, or grin, usually I just inwardly "humph." But when I laugh, whole-heartedly, out loud, I know I have been entertained. Where'd You Go, Bernadette? is the story of young, Bee and her eccentric mother Bernadette. Bee is impossibly intelligent with eclectic tastes and very little self-editing abilities. But where Bee is outgoing and impish, her mother is somewhat of a hermit. Keeping to herself in their large, run-down home, she uses an assistant whom she met on the Internet to do all of her shopping, or anything that requires interaction with people outside of her home. Bree's father, a genius at Microsoft, has all but forgotten about his family when his wife goes missing. This story is sad, hilarious, and poignant. I didn't want the story to end. But when it did, I was not disappointed. There is a little bit of language in the book. 

No comments:

Post a Comment